Pool Installation: 5 Crucial Considerations >> If you want to enhance your outdoor living space, adding a swimming pool is a great idea. But to ensure proper pool installation, you have to consider several important things, including enlisting the help of the best landscaping companies in Dubai (or wherever you are).
Swimming pools can improve the appearance and value of your property. But careful planning is essential to make sure that you reap all of their benefits. So before digging up your yard, here are the five crucial considerations when it comes to pool installation.
As with other home renovation projects, start by establishing your reasons for installing a pool in your yard. These will help determine the appropriate size, depth, shape, and type of construction.
Is the pool for your family and friends? Is it meant to improve the view? Or will it serve as your garden’s focal point?
2. Type of pool
Basically, you can either choose between an in-ground pool and an above-ground pool.
To help you decide which pool type is best for you, here are things to consider.
- Appearance and size – In-ground pools offer various sizes, shapes, and extra features than above-ground pools. The only limit would be your budget. As for above-ground pools, they are more limited in depth, shape, and size because they usually come in a kit delivered to your property.
- Cost – In-ground pools cost more because their installation entails more labor and materials.
- Lifespan – The pool’s lifespan may vary depending on the type of material used. But generally, in-ground pools can last for five decades, while above-ground pools can only last for two decades when properly maintained.
- Safety – Above-ground pools may seem safer because their wall acts as a natural barrier. You can also remove the ladder whenever the pool is not in use to prevent accidental drownings. However, there are ways to make both types of pools safer for your family. For instance, you can install four-sided fences, a locking gate, and pool alarms.
After deciding on the type of pool to install, you need to choose where to put it. You must look into the different regulations covering the installation, such as the pool fencing requirements and site coverage allowance.
Other things to remember when determining the pool’s position include:
- Sun exposure – Place the pool in an area in your yard that gets the most sun.
- Wind exposure – Choose a place where there are no strong winds. The blast of air will increase evaporation and cool the water.
- Accessibility – Plan carefully how users will enter and exit the pool. Moreover, decide where everyone can hang out.
- Sight lines – This refers to your view of the pool when you are inside your house, which is highly essential if you have children. You can add some water features and lighting to make it more beautiful.
- Storage – You should also consider where you’ll keep the pool cleaner, filtration equipment, sun umbrellas, and toys.
Unless you are a professional, never attempt to install your pool yourself. Instead, leave this job to the experts. When looking for a pool builder, start by asking for referrals from your family, relatives, and friends who have pools. Typically, word of mouth will lead you to an excellent pool construction company.
Once you have several candidates, make a comparison to find the company that best suits your needs.
Start by asking for references. A reputable builder will willingly provide you with a list of their previous clients who have had work done that is similar to what you have in mind. Make sure to visit them to check the finished project. Ask them also about the builder’s reliability and craftsmanship.
You also need to understand what’s included in the overall cost. Note that reputable builders will visit the site first to determine exactly what work is to be done before giving a quote. Being aware of the builder’s scope of work will help conclude if you are getting a great deal. For instance, one company may provide you with a higher quotation because they include more services than those with lower fees.
Moreover, ask how much of the total cost you’ll have to pay upfront. A good builder will ask for less than 50% of the overall cost before the project starts, and the remaining balance when the project is complete and satisfactory.
Lastly, choose a builder you feel comfortable working with. Since you will be dealing with them throughout the project, it is crucial that you feel great about them and can trust your property’s improvement and safety to them.
A swimming pool will serve its purpose and last longer when maintained properly. So besides determining if you can afford to install a pool in your yard, you must also assess if you can maintain it for many years.
From keeping it free of any debris and seasonal allergy causes to ensuring that all pool equipment is fully functional, you must commit a considerable amount of time and money to pool maintenance. As much as possible, hire pool maintenance experts to check your pool’s condition on a regular basis.
A swimming pool can be a great source of fun and entertainment, but it requires a substantial amount of money, work, and upkeep. To ensure that you are making a wise investment, you need to consider the abovementioned factors carefully.
Rachel Hennessey manages the Pools and Landscaping Division of Hennessey LLC. She also works on Tender and Pre-Qualification and brings in new business to the company’s Construction, Interiors and Civils Division.